Thanks guys -- it seems to be a common theme that staying as active as possible delays / mitigates the effects of post polio syndrome. The polio physiotherapist I saw said much the same in that she was surprised at my activity level and encouraged me to keep it high as she saw quite a few people in my age bracket with polio that were now dependent on mechanical assistance of one form or another which she put down in many cases to a lack of activity.

I know there were a few people I went to school with that had polio worse than I did with full leg braces on both sides or needing walkers. Tough times back then for a lot of people.

I have no complaints about my life --- very active, worked hard, played hard -- just took me longer to get there as I am not a fast walker or runner. I can still put on the miles today and hopefully will be as active this next fall as I was this past one.

On post polio syndrome everything I have read is really not cure related -- more management of loss of function with physical therapy or pain management for the on-going nerve pain that can be present. Basically helping people age out.

It will be interesting to see what the future holds for the folks impacted by COVID as there will be post-covid symptoms for many.

Hugh