Some background, and then my comment. I served 3 years Regular Army (1980-1983) as a radio operator, but I spent 2 years with a nuclear missile battery, and then my last 6 months with the 3/7th 197th Infantry Brigade. Couldn't get into flight school for choppers, so I went Army National Guard 125th Infantry.

After Desert Storm I got married and joined up with the Air National Guard, and did 22 years with them.

I can only speak to my units, but the Guard units I was with were very good. I know this because every year we were evaluated by active duty units (the 125th was assigned to the 101st Air Mobile, and they consistently gave us high marks).

The Guardsmen I served with were highly motivated and well trained (all credit to the NCO corps there). Most of us took the job very seriously, although every organization has its slackers and skaters.

Those Guardsmen who were summoned to Rome to protect Nero probably looked at the deployment as a bag of excrement, but they went and to all accounts have served nobly. Even as they were treated poorly.

Should it come to civil war (God Almighty please no), I wager the majority of the Guard will side with the constitutional patriots.

Pershing 1A. No city too big, no populated area too small. We even get the roaches.