Originally Posted by Ky221
I’m on the search for a new hunting rifle and the CRF 308 thread got me thinking that a 308 would do everything I need a deer and pig rifle to do. I’m just having a hard time making my mind up as to which rifle.

If you were wanting a .308 for still hunting whitetail, box blind pigs and banging steel at the range and not being limited to CRF; what would you choose? How would you scope it, and what bullet would you choose for the 3 tasks? I’m leaning towards a Tikka and 165NBTS

If I am stand hunting with short distances to walk in, I would buy a Kimber Open Country, Ruger Scout, Browning X-Bolt, or Tikka in that order. Three mag-fed options to match magazines already in the safe and one blind. I think all of these rifles have a good weight and balance, are proven precision platforms, and require no fussing out of the box, but enough do-dads and aftermarket triggers exist to satisfy a garage gunsmith's desires.

For bullet selection, I have been very satisfied with Hornady's GMX bullets. Last year's hunting season resulted in a dead Sitka blacktail, whitetail, a medium black bear, and a few coyotes. All shots were inside of 250m and nothing moved from where it was shot. (Bullet impacts: Sitka=lungs/liver; whitetail=high shoulder/neck; black bear=top of neck/base of skull; coyotes=from tip to tail) I have also used the GMX bullets in a 7mm-08 and had similar results on rocky mountain elk spikes, cow elk, mule deer, and of course, coyotes. I have not recovered a bullet yet, but I have two freezers in the garage.

I have to say, though, I really dig the Mausers with the compartment in the stock. I'd like to see if I could stuff some Black Ovis game bags in there with a Havalon Piranta and a hunting license.