Not saying the Partition is "better" than the A-Frame in the 9.3x62, just pointing out the assumption that our new member SafariLife presented about weight retention is incorrect.

Then I explained how the differences in the two bullets affect their performance. 286 A-Frames make bigger holes, because they expand wider (which often includes the rear end of the bullet) but the 286 Partition penetrates deeper.

As a matter of fact, when the 286 Partition was new I got involved with a new bullet-testing medium my friend and fellow gun writer Richard Mann developed, made out of soft wax. Its big advantage was retaining the wound channel, so you could actually see how various bullets expanded (and sometimes didn't), but it also provided a valid comparison of how deeply each penetrated.

We were testing a bunch of bullets of various sizes and construction, including the 250- and 286-grain TSX 9.3s. I bet Richard that the 286 Partition would penetrate deeper than the 250 X, but not as deeply as the 286 X. Was pretty sure about this, due to using all of them on game, and well as testing them in various media. Richard was doubtful, but that's exactly what happened.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck