Over the years, I've grown quite attached to mid-layers in my hunting. For the last couple years, have run a FL Aerowool next to skin, FL Sawtooth over that and something else when its cold. A Sitka Kelvin Lite hoody and Jetstream round out my standard above waist outfit.

I break down my needs as: hike in, still hunt, sits (glassing or meadow watching)

The FL Aerowool/Sawtooth combo works well 90% of the time for the hike in and still hunting. The Sitka Kelvin Lite/Jetstream works 90% of the time for sits. The past couple years have seen colder weather (0 to single digits) and wind. Wind and single digits don't work well for my mid-layer scheme on the hike in. I tried a Jetstream vest to cut wind and wasn't overly satisfied with that. I've worn the Jetstream jkt in the cold/wind situations and find I sweat too much. For this coming year, I'm leaning to a base layer/2 mid-layer scheme - FL Aerorwool next to skin, a 350-400 wt merino wool shirt, FL Sawtooth. This should still breathe, and hopefully with 3 smaller layers, mitigate heat loss from the wind.

I've used various weights of fleece but find they offer next to zero wind resistance - unless they have some type of wind blocking mechanism. I have every weight fleece from really thin to stupid thick and have moved away from them but might try midweights between the Aerowool and Sawtooth.

Which got me to thinking - how do you all do mid-layers when you hike 1-3 miles in, climb 1-2000 feet, then expect to sit or still hunt?

I also wish someone would make a jacket with wind block, DWR finish to shed light rain/snow, quiet material, with ~ 100 gr Primaloft built into the jkt. That way I wouldn't need to stuff the Kelvin Lite and Jetstream into my pack. If you know anything fitting that bill, I'm all ears, or eyeballs in this case.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.