An update of sorts. I hiked last weekend in the Smokys. Temps were in the low 30s, wind gusts up to 25 mph or so. I wore a FL Aeorwool next to skin, a Patagonia R1 no hood, and a Kuiu Peloton 240. The hike wasnt anything strenuous, about 10 total miles with a 700 foot climb at one point. I only had a 10 lb or so daypack. I started cool but was warm within 1 mile and starting to sweat by mid point of the hike, even with the wind. I suspect it also warmed up into the high 30s, low 40s as well. All told, I think this layer strategy will work well in elk season with temps in the teens, 25 lb pack, and more elevation gain.

I also ordered a Sitka Traverse Zip T earlier this week. Found them on sale and decided to give one a try. They should be warmer than the Patagonia R1 and/or Sitka Core HW hoody. I'll try hiking in the FL Aerowool and Traverse to see how that combo works. I'd bet layering the Kuiu P240 over that will be too warm. The thing that attracted me to the Traverse is is tougher exterior and a bit of wind resistance.

I could do hunting/hiking clothing R&D for a living grin

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.