Thanks Beretzs. 2-1/2 years ago, my friend and I camped down valley and hiked in in the morning. It took longer than we expected to get up high.

We camped with a big tent and wood stove:

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

After that, most days we hunted down low, hoping to see something moving through.

Next year (2019), I did it solo. Managed to get my vehicle a few miles to the north on a road that was impassible the previous year. I backpacked up to here and put up a cold camp.

Elk tracks everywhere.

Camp was a mile north of the a bowl at the top of the valley pictured above. The previous year, some days, we made it up to a lake up high, but at the bottom of a huge bowl, and there were were so many tracks around the lake.

So, I would creep up, seemingly into the sky, up over some ridges to get to an overlook on the edge of that bowl where the elk likely wouldn't hear me coming.

Unfortunately, due to an ongoing divorce and work issues, I only got to try for three days, and didn't see anything.

That latter approach seems favorable, but it's difficult, and getting one out likely would require driving 40 minutes around and approaching an expired elk from the south from the lower valley.

Note that there never are any hunters anywhere near these spots when I've been hunting there, but always tons of elk tracks.

It also could be that, in 2021, there will be less or little snow. Just don't know.