Camp where you want within reason. Second largest archery bull I’ve killed was within 100 yds of my tent. Of course when backpack hunting into my elk hunting ground I keep a low profile and stay “small” to begin with.

Crunchy snow presents big challenges for still hunting the timber. During the fall, usually mid day temps warm up enough to make the snow soft. May have to set up and glass in the mornings when the forest is like walking on potato chips, and still hunt during the day.

Elk won’t necessarily run if they hear crunchy footsteps in the snow ( or crunchy leaves, or cracking branches on the ground) but will be on high alert and zeroed in on the sound. Trying to get the jump on them in those conditions is usually a lost cause.

Elk will often get up mid day and feed.
Another strategy is to crunch your way into the forest, find a small spot with more open timber, sit down and watch the pine squirrels for a half hour or more. Move along further and repeat. It has worked for me in the past.

Snow has been sparse in most parts of the state this year, especially in the middle altitudes, the elk are probably up around your cabin for that reason this winter.

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.