Thanks for the interesting comments TRnCO.

One thing that percolates in my head is what happens on my land. I have a small remote cabin on my land in Park County on a ridge about 1/2 mile from the dirt road. Often on the first night I stay there, when I get out to take a leak in the morning, as soon as the first significant sound arises from my activities, I often hear some very loud pounding of hoofs down the forested hillside. It's almost certainly an elk based on the elk tracks around there. It sounds like just one animal. So, that guy takes off at the first human sound he hears. It only happens once per trip. So, I assume he beds down elsewhere for a period once he realizes that a two-leger is around. I assume he must walk up near the top of that ridge in the early morning and bed down after we have gone to sleep and doesn't realize we are there. It's also interesting that there are fresh elk tracks primarily in the forested areas of that land, but sometimes in the open areas, year-round. I assume then that they aren't migrating, but maybe it's different elk.