Originally Posted by Pappy348
Have you asked him if he wants another rifle? Maybe he’s good with what he has and might want say, a shotgun, or a dedicated varmint or target rifle. Might not be a bad idea to feel him out a bit on what HE wants to do.

Still the best reply.

It sounds like the kid is quite content with what he's been using. From your description, he seems to have good facility with, and confidence in, the FW Roberts. My take would be to let HIM be the driver of IF, and WHEN to do any change-up.

My own experience is that I was thrilled when my Dad bought me my first rifle when I was 11. And in all the time since, I've discovered that I'd never buy that rifle, or chambering, for myself. I made it work, for a time, but nothing about it felt natural to me. I'll never sell it, but I certainly reach for many others when heading to the field, before that one.

There's nothing wrong with letting your son handle/shoot the other rifles in your collection, & telling him what you like about each, and why. It could be, though, that he already views that FW Roberts as HIS personal sweet spot, and there's not a thing wrong with that. It likely just means that he's more mature & responsible than the vast majority of us 'round here...

And for GOD'S SAKE, don't ever let him get on 24HCF, lest he become aware that that all of his choices in rifles, optics, women, booze, food, and life in-general, are horseschidt. wink

FC

"Every day is a holiday, and every meal is a banquet."

- Mrs. FC