Originally Posted by WITUfan
Thanks for the responses. This has given me a few more things to think about. To clarify a few things that I didn’t cover, or maybe didn’t state clearly in my original post. He loves to hunt. We hunt deer, turkey, small game and occasionally waterfowl. I am trying to expose him to lots of different types of outdoor activities and let him decide what he likes. So far, his favorites are deer hunting and fish catching. He doesn’t love the slow fishing day so much!

I will definitely see if he has any preferences before I make a final decision. We have plenty of time to shop. I just want to have something bigger before we go after elk, and I do hope to get him out west after elk at some point. Let me just say here that I know the .257 Roberts will do a lot. I have one myself and love the cartridge. I would shoot the biggest elk that ever lived in the ribs with one and expect a dead elk. However, we don’t get to hunt any big game other than deer very often and I would choose something bigger. That’s just me. I respect those who do it differently. I will say I am surprised to get that advice, this is the place I expect to hear, “Yes, buy a new rifle and you really need two!” LOL!

Also, there have been lots of comments about getting him something else. I think that is sound advice but he has those bases covered. He has a good .22 and a good all-purpose shotgun, as well as a couple of other guns.

Lastly, I appreciate the comments about recoil. I have been extremely careful in that regard and we have worked up slowly. We started with a .22 then a .222. I even started with 80 grain bullets and a modest load for the Roberts. He killed his first turkey with a 20. Graduated to a 12 when he laid claim to one of mine, but shot 2 3/4” shells. He shoots 3” and 3 1/2” waterfowl and turkey loads as well as rifles other than my .222 and the Roberts now so I’m not worried at this point about ruining him with a .308 or .30/06 or whatever. When we go and shoot a lot, I can load things on the mild side anyway. I already do that for me at times.

Thanks again for the input. There is a lot of experience here.

Sounds like you're doing it exactly right. Good on you, dad.