Originally Posted by centershot
Curious how many still have a mortgage? If not how old were you when you paid it off? I'm 53 and thinking in the next 5 years I want our house paid off. Still owe 70K on a $350K property but with no other debt I should be able to do it. Don't want to be 70 (or even 60) and still have a mortgage. How about you?

I can relate to your thinking. About 10 years ago I set a goal to payoff the mortgage in five years. It was our last debt to pay off. Five years later, we paid off the mortgage. Two years later I retired. Great peace of mind for me seeing that the little wifey will have no worries about shelter, should I pass suddenly. I think you are on the right tract. If I could recommend anything that has worked for me it would be to stay on a strict payment timeline that ensures you are 100% debt free before you retire.

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee