Originally Posted by Stammster
The biggest enhancement for me is in weatherproof / waterproof clothing and boots - rather than shooting gear. Goretex boots was an absolute game changer vs bread bags. Allowed me to hunt longer and in more places.

My 1953 M70 FWT 270 still shoots as good or better than any modern rifle.

Yes, that's my view too. Back in 1980 cold weather gear was usually wool, which despite what we believed really didn't stay warm when wet, and got heavy and uncomfortable too. Wet weather gear was either oiled japara, which kept you dry but was rather bulky and noisy, nylon, which didn't really keep the rain out, or PVC, which kept all the sweat in, so you'd end up just as wet.

Lightweight, breathable, truly comfortable and silent hunting clothes have been an absolute game changer.

Another gamechanger for me is the GPS, and more recently those GPS-based apps which allow me to open a map which not only shows my location but also shows boundaries, no-go zones, places I've seen sign etc. Back in 1980 it was either hunting on familiar land or using a 1:25,000 paper map and a compass.

As for rangefinders and scopes that track and so on, I've used them, but they don't really make a difference to me. I like the challenge of getting in close. More often than not I'm hunting with a rifle, sights and bullet which I could have been using in 1980. In some cases with a rifle, sights and bullet that my grandfather could have used in 1930.