I shot my first sub-moa 5-shot group in 1965. The bullets were Sierras. Fifty-five years later, the same bullet, newly manufactured, shoots about the same (different barrel, mind you. That one wore out years ago). I was an early proponent of synthetic stocking of hunting rifles and built my first in 1977. Proponent or not, I never built one for myself until ten years later, though most of my target guns were so equipped. Today, I have two glass stocked hunting rifles and neither is a real "go to". As far as other gear is concerned: I have a range finder and fool around with it but it's not something I have to have in my pack. I have never warmed up to the idea of proving my long range skills on game. Binoculars are better than I had fifty years ago. My boots are better but the feet in them are tired! Backpacks are a lot better than the old plywood GI packboards I used to use (I still have a couple). Socks. I have learned that a thirty dollar pair of socks may be money well spent. I still camp the same as I always have.
The bottom line is, I have not changed my opinions much over the last 55 years; as far as hunting is concerned. I enjoy my time in the field the same way I always have. I shoot similar rifles. Many years of long range competition shooting has made me less enamored of the practice of shooting long range at game rather than more. As a gunsmith, my methods have evolved over the years, driven by experience. Nonetheless, my bedding techniques are about the same as I practiced in the early '70's and the rifles still shoot OK. Barrel fitting is much the same and it still works too. Perhaps this just shows that I am resistant to change and I'm OK with that. GD