I think the biggest changes in the hunting world follow the big tech changes in our lives. Some of this is good some not so much. Right up there with tech is the increase in hunting pressure, which is somewhat ironic as game departments report hunter numbers down overall.

On the tech side, the affordable and portable laser rangefinder is a revolutionary capability. Up until it’s invention, we all wanted to max out our high velocity rifles as a hedge against range uncertainty. Now, with accurate rifles and skinny streamlined bullets, a good rangefinder, and accurate trajectory dope we are technically able to hit at ranges unimaginable a few decades ago.

To scout these days, it’s tempting for some to park in their BarcaLounger drinking beer, watching Netflix, while a herd of trail cameras automatically sends scouting reports direct to the IPhone. Does it matter if we really walk and sneak in the hunting grounds to see for ourselves directly what’s going on? And should we sometimes forego the four-wheeler and use our hind legs?

I believe we are at or past an ethical fork in the road here, that is generated by these new capabilities. How far is too far? Is hunting slowly morphing into just game shooting? Do we owe our game the respect to be in the same arena with them, affording them the chance to detect us and escape?

Related to this question is the increase in hunting pressure that I have seen across the country, and especially in many of my old haunts in the West. Are we justified in taking extreme range shots because of the likelihood that we’ll miss out on a game killing chance that somebody else will get?

Finally, lots of other stuff has changed that has helped me, such as better clothing, boots and gear in general. Rifles are more accurate, scopes more precise.

The biggest issues that this discussion generates are the ethical ones, that go beyond the legal ones. Or so it seems to me.

Last edited by GF1; 02/27/21.