I’m in the very early stages of wanting to plan a first time relatively low cost plains game hunt. Where should I begin?

An African hunt was never something seriously on the radar for me until recently doing an internet search and realizing that it’s more affordable than I expected it’s an expensive hunt for me but more doable than I imagined if I stick to zebra which would be tops on my list and a handful of other common plains game animals. I’d likely bring either my wife as an observer or my 18 year old son as another hunter.

Being completely unfamiliar with African hunting where is a good place to start collecting information? Every guide service site that I’ve clicked on has a good webpage. What should I be looking for and asking? Are there any safety concerns or countries to avoid? Vaccination requirements? Fees that I should be aware of that are over and above stated? Ideally I like the idea of hunting with my own rifles for sentimental reasons but I’m assuming renting is cheaper. What do you most guys do? How far in advance do I need to book a hunt? Does a deposit typically lock in a rate?

As I said I’m at the very beginning stages of planning and a rank novice thinking most likely for 2023. I welcome any feedback including recommendations for a PH or how to choose a good one and general length of time in advance to book a hunt.

Thanks I’m advance for any and all info

Last edited by TheLastLemming76; 02/26/21.