Last Lem:

Congratulations on deciding to make your "first" trip of likely several others to follow. Don't be afraid to ask questions and there is no "dumb" question - we've all been in your shoes. Think things through but more importantly DON'T over think everything. My starting point advice is below:

1. Right NOW, I would be looking in order, Botswana, Namibia and RSA. I've hunted all three and did my PH school in RSA (Natal Province). They are all thee good, but just different and maybe better experiences. Botswana and where I go in the Tuli Block because the quantity and quality of game is tremendous. Namibia, because a much higher percentage of the hunting areas will be low-fence, free range than RSA. RSA, because there are a LOT of really, good deals being offered right NOW but those may or may not be available in your 2023 time frame. As Ingwe mentioned, there are also a lot more shady/questionable operators in RSA as a percentage than Bots or Nam.

2. K.I.S.S - Keep It Stupid Simple. Since you're after PG, as long as you have a good 308 Win, 30/06 or bigger, that is all you need all the way to eland. A 308 Win with 150gr TSX at 2950fps will be pass-thru broadside shots on everything up to eland out to 175m. DON'T go out and waste money on a fancy "Twisty" (Turret) scope. Most of your shooting distances will be well under 200m and mostly from 100-150m. IF, you use a 308/30-06 type rifle zeroed 1.5" high at 100 yds, just put your crosshairs center of vitals out to 200m and squeeze. I can not tell you how many guys I've taken over that INGORED this and had a very EXPENSIVE education. You don't need a high magnification scope either. I recommend a variable scope be just set at 4x and forget it. 95%+ of your shots are going to be off standing shooting sticks and VERY, VERY few guys practice this enough to be reliable/effective standing off sticks out past 150-175m. The higher the magnification the more you're going to "chase the wiggle" and your pattern looks like a shotgun. Bino's - again, don't break the bank. You're not responsible for judging the trophies. Something light weight in the 8x30 class. Nikon and others make some pretty good glass that can be found in the web for $300-$400. Leave the range finder home. Again, the distances you're typically going to be shooting from you don't need it.

3. K.I.S.S with the clothing and other "kit" you take. Don't take more than 4x of clothes. Wear a set on the plane, have a set in your carry-on, put a set in your checked luggage and put a set in your rifle case. Don't waste money on buying the latest and greatest camo and all the scent blocking non-sense. If you take it out and spray yourself down, the trackers and PH won't say anything to you, but they will give each other "looks" and laugh their asses off later. Don't waste money on the latest and greatest camo either. Just some comfortable tan Dikie's pants and shirts from Wally World and you'll be fine. A good pair of leather hiking boots or regular boots, uninsulated. Get the smoothest softest sole you can. Your hunting during the "dry" season and you don't need a big lug sole for mud. Most of the soil will be sandy and a big lug sole will be noisy as hell walking and will dig into the soft sand and wear you out. I don't recommend anything with a ballistic nylon upper as there are grass seeds that have little stickers on them that will work there way to your skin and drive you crazy. You'll be there during their "winter". Just take long sleeve shirts (can roll the sleeve up mid day), a medium weight zip up fleece jacked and a medium weight jacket to go over that. Maybe a watch cap and a pair of cotton gloves for the ride out and back in the mornings and evenings. I recommend a hat with a full round brim over a baseball cap. This give your ears a bit more protection from the sun AND when walking/stalking in the bush with a good tin cloth brimmed hat you can put your head down and not get as scratched up by the thorn bushes.

4. Camera's/Cell phones/Laptops. Most modern cell phones have excellent camera capabilities and fit in your pocket so no real need for extra camera gear to lost, stolen or bashed up. Cell phone service from country specific providers is pretty well available and some US carriers like AT&T and Verizon may have agreements with these foreign carriers for calls and data BUT IT WILL BE EXPENSIVE. WiFi is pretty prevalent in most lodging and restaurants and in the airports. Just turn you phone's "data" off and just use WiFi apps to call back to the US. Laptops, if you want to take it to watch movies or make notes or edit photos etc., take a small one. There is no guarantee there will be WiFi "in camp".

5. Non hunters/Observers - this is a tricky one. Unless they want to be out with the hunting party everyday, there COULD be very little to do back "in camp". Likely not to to have TV or WiFi, they could get board pretty quickly. SOME outfitters based closer to towns/cities MAY offer day trips into town. Just have to ask.

6. SCI/DSC Auction Hunts - these can be some very good deals, BUT be very very careful. A LOT of times these highly discounted packages are used as a "hook" to get someone in camp and offer very common species. Then when the client gets in camp and sees extra animals that aren't included in the original hunt package price they seriously stick it to you on the add on trophy fees. IF you opt for one of these hunts be SURE you get the full list of the add on trophy fee prices BEFORE you buy the package. You could very well end up spending FAR more in this circumstance then if you had just booked regular hunt directly with the outfitter on a straight daily rate and ala carte trophy fees.

7. IF you decide to take a non-hunter, be sure to add a few extra days of general sight seeing. Depending on what country you book, they all have various National Parks, or Victory Falls, or the Skelton coast of Namiba or Chobe NP in Botswana, Kurger NP in RSA or others.

This should give you a start and are my opinions only and others who have been to various places will surely have other and differing ideas. Once you narrow down what country and what region, then more details can be added.