Originally Posted by M3taco

2. You have to realize the business end of this from the operators/outfitters/booking agent side too. ONLY the big players can afford to attend these. They are usually expected to "donate" a hunt for auctions AND pay for the floor space for their booth. They have the transportation not just for themselves but their booth displays, food, lodging etc, to cover while there. A lot of these guys stay in the US for several weeks and attend several "Big Shows" in the US and maybe even Canada and Europe. Some of these operators rack up some pretty significant advertising expenses. They don't actually pay that, just like any business, those expenses are passed along to the consumer (us clients). This is one reason why there are such HUGE differences in daily rates. Most of these operations have to run "open camps" and turn as many clients as possible during the season. They have to contract for LARGE concessions to accommodate all the anticipated clients. Because they don't own the property, just a lease, they have to construct "the camp" and all it's facilities. This also causes their operating costs to increase like hiring more staff, more PH's either directly on staff or temp freelance, more support vehicles, etc. Then sorting out who is going with what PH and where on the property you and yours will hunt that day so you don't bump into (shoot) another party. You may be hunting the same area today that someone else stomped thru the previous day etc. etc. When you start shopping around, you're going to see HUGE variations in daily rates, especially in RSA. PG daily rates from $450 to $750 p/p/d (per person, per day). DG from $750 to $1500 p/p/d. Not to mention if you want to hunt with one of the TV celebrities like Jeff Rand, that will add an extra $1K per day ON TOP of his normal crazy high staff PH DG daily rate.

M3taco, you're exactly right. I was actually going to say something similar to your 2nd point above, but didn't want to muddy the water anymore than I already had. However, as much as I agree with your point, the problem that I see and for which I don't have a good solution, is that it is incredibly difficult for us in the US to identify these smaller operators who are good outfits and offer excellent hunts for lower prices, but who don't do much advertising or attend the big shows. The only real way to know is by word of mouth, which I agree, is usually the best way. I'm sure the community here would certainly welcome naming some of these smaller outfits that you have knowledge of so that they could be contacted and investigated on our own.

Many thanks for your very helpful posts!