Ingwe and others gave some great advice. I have nowhere near the experience as some but here's some thoughts.
- I've had a good experience in RSA but do your homework. The place we hunted was about 35,000 acres under fence, which I can live with. You don't want to show up to a small put and take operation.
- I booked through an outfitter I use here in the US. He brings multiple groups every year so pricing was much better. He also handled everything - permits, flights, transport, dip/pack, etc. It was helpful.
-Consider what you want to do with the animals you shoot. African taxidermy, on average, is not up to US standards. If you ship, everything back and have it mounted, it will quickly add up to more than your entire package. If you save a few bucks having it mounted there, you will lose the money you saved in shipping. I am considering just having everything euro'd there next time.
-Bringing your own rifle isn't difficult. Just make sure you read the airline rules. They vary
-Be flexible. You want a zebra and that's fine. Shoot a zebra. Pick a few more animals but if the PH gets real excited, you might want to switch gears.
-It's a long trip no matter how you slice it. Give yourself time to enjoy your stay. I like 7 days min, not counting arrival/departure. It takes me a a day or two to get back to normal.
-Bring some common medicines - allergy, immodium, sleep aid, etc.
-You'll be thinking about your next trip on the way home.

Last edited by TxHunter80; 02/27/21.