Originally Posted by MPat70
As a former CHP officer I can attest:

Bottom line is a cop is there to enforce the law. If you are breaking the law then be a man and own up. 99% of people know they are breaking the law at the time of the offense. If you are respectful to them they will show the same to you. You get an attitude and the situation naturally escalates.

Since Ive worked with LE,it is apparent that short succinct answers to their questions don't hurt, they don't need your life story. And yeah, own up. Ive gotten 3 speeding tickets in my life and they all went like this " I got you doing 77 in a 65 zone.."......'Where do I sign?' Simple.

Also learned a couple simple things during ride alongs with our K9 guys...

1. Pull off out of the way of traffic if possible

2. Keep your registration, insurance etc above your visor...DON'T reach into console or glove box for anything...

3. Turn on your overhead light when you get stopped at night so they can see what you are doing as they approach the vehicle.

4. Turn off your engine, throw keys up on the dash, put your hands on the steering wheel.

5. If you're carrying a weapon give them your CCW when you give the drivers license, and let them know...its called courtesy.

If you havent worked with LE, or know the ropes try and put yourself in their position. When I have gone along NOTHING scares me as bad as a routine traffic stop...

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe