Originally Posted by MarkinGA
Hey guys, I am currently running a 2WD 2012 Toyota Tundra w/ the 5.7L V-8. I am considering upgrading my truck to a newer model and I plan to get 4WD this time. I fairly regularly tow my 20 ft equipment-style tandem axle trailer and 32 hp tractor w/ attachments. My Tundra does pretty decent pulling this load and its well within its rated capacity. Still if I end up getting something else, I’m considering a newer Tundra (which mechanically is the same as what I have) and also wondering whether I should consider a 3/4 ton. I don’t really think I need a diesel, so would likely get a gasser 3/4 if I went that way. I’m kind of afraid of all the hyped up Turbo V6 stuff out there and I want something reliable. My Tundra has been nigh on bulletproof for example.

Top contenders are the following:

2019 or newer Toyota Tundra w/ 5.7L 4WD
Ford F-250 w/ 6.2L 4WD
Ford F-250 w/ 7.3L 4WD

Don’t care for Ram, and feel like GM sold their soul under Obama.

Thoughts, Advice?

Mark in GA

For the record, GM, Chrysler and Ford were all bailed out in 2009 along with 984 other companies. I don't know why everyone only talks about GM while using a credit card company that was likely bailed out as well...
As far as towing, I've done a lot of it and I wouldn't recommend regularly towing anything that weighs more than the tow vehicle with less than a 3/4 ton truck. It isn't all about the power.... 3/4 tons have stiff suspension so the trailer doesn't push you around in the bends. That suspension also helps to prevent the trailer from swaying. Bigger brakes help you stop. The heavier tranny helps hold you back and it doesn't get abused doing it. 10 ply tires last longer under the weight too. The engine won't break a sweat running up the hills in GA either. Why make a 1/2 work it's azz off when you can get a 3/4 ton to just cruise along???

Good luck with your decision!

I sure could go for some $2.50/gal gas and a mean tweet!

NRA Benefactor member, disgruntled.
Life member: Firearms Owners Against Crime.
Life member: GOA
Member: RMEF

TRUMP 2020