Originally Posted by 1911a1
The bank my son works at won't even finance a log structure.

Lived in a nice custom built log home for almost 16 years. It was very well built ( according to a few inspectors that looked at it and knew a lot more than me) and the builder put log jacks in the inside to accommodate settling. Oversized large logs were used in the construction

I would never own another log home. Insurance got to very expensive and difficult to fin. Especially after the California fires a few years ago. If you live more than 10 miles from a FD, which I did it was even more difficult and expensive to find insurance. Getting a mortgage now on one is difficult. And a lot of extra maintenance. All my neighbors had log homes and had the same sentiment. Looking at possible lower resale values too.

Id definitely do heated floors if you decide to build one.The extra large overhangs on the roof are a good idea especially if you live in a high snow fall area.

Built on a concrete foundation with a four feet crawl space.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

You can see the large screw jacks on bottoms of supporting logs for settling

They look nice but personally would not recommend. The novelty was fun the first few years and it was cool to have elk, mule deer feeding under your second story upper bedroom deck, but too much work.

Last edited by ribka; 03/02/21.