[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

View of my living room from the loft.
I have built 4 custom log cabins turn key, by myself. White pine logs 6 inches thick. You do need massive roof overhangs and big porches. You want to keep the rain and sunshine off of the walls.
Overhangs and porches are not difficult to build and big porches are great living space, and cheap.

I have been living in my cabin for 24 years. Maintenance has not been bad, I put one coat of latex stain on the outside and it has held up well.
I have had a problem with carpenter bees making holes in the wood and woodpeckers pecking out holes. This has happened to two logs, one hole is 6 inches long and 3 inches high and the other hole is smaller.

Six inches of wood is, in fact, quite good insulation. You have to do a good job with the chinking and install good ceiling insulation. I am on top of a mountain in NC and the wind will blow 40 mph all night on a 20 degree winter day. My cabin is snug and warm even with a 22 foot cathedral ceiling.

My big porch. Log cabins look cool. I did all that hewing with an adze. Lots of hard work to build a log cabin.

We get a lot of snow.

I built this cabin on Lake Sinclair, Georgia in 1988. Cypress logs. I did all the masonry as well.
I was just down there at Christmas and the cabin is holding up well. No holes from carpenter bees.