I helped build a 8" log kit home back in the '90's. My friend poured a regular foundation with the plumbing ran in pipe thru pipe. That way if anything happened, he could pull the pipe and replace it if necessary. He sent his rough drawn plans to the company that cut the logs and they drew it to scale. When the logs arrived, they were double tongue and grove, all numbered, had some weird locking joints cut into the corners, and had a set of plans for laying them out. The company sent a rep out to help lay the first layer to make sure it was done properly. After that, it was just look at the plans, pick the right numbered log, apply the sealant, and screw it down (20" screws every 3'). One of the strongest houses I've ever seen. Wiring was a little tricky, but by running it in the window frames, door frames, and baseboard, you couldn't tell it was any different from any other house. You did have to router out for the elect. boxes and drill holes thru a log or two for the wires. The inside walls were regulars stud walls, so when you got the wires to them, it was no problem. Windows and doors were like any other construction. He had front and back porches that ran the length of the house so wiring and the ac/heating ducts was run thru the attic above them.

Termites are bad in south Ms., so he hired a company with a warranty to control them. He used some kind of stain that was sprayed on the house. Not sure what it was, but it looked really good. IIRC, he said it would have to be stained again every 8-10 years.

About 2 yrs after we built this house, my friend died of cancer and the house was sold. We lived there until '08 (another 9 years) and the house still looked good and had no problems that I know of.

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21