So, I have been working over another M-70. About finished and to the range for testing. As a fowl weather gun I care about the easy bolt takedown. I do not have to guess that the striker is clean and in order to fire. I can really take or leave the three position safety. Twice I have ended up at the bottom of a slide with a bolt open M 700 round ejected, empty rifle in hand. Old 700s locked the bolt down with the safety on. Smarter now I do not chamber a round until about to shoot. So I guess that is less of an issue. While I have 19 years bear hunting in Alaska with mostly a .416 all of the Alaska animals taken by myself and friends have been with a glass stocked 30'06 700 Mountain gun. Light, handy,
unfailingly accurate. But most importantly lucky. It was always nearby when something needed shot. So much for the Mountain gun. This M-70 is a SS BOSS equipped 30,06. It has a 47-0 score on Kansas white tails. I check zero every 20 cartridges. The last group was 1.25" @ 300 paces... then we all got Lazers...so call that 285 yards very close to average range shooting deer over Winter Wheat in December.

Watch 'Yer Topknot!