Back in the 1990s when I was reading the few gun forums, Bart Bobbitt was pro M70 and Gale McMillian was pro R700.

Bart acknowledged that Rem700s were so cheaply made, that Remington could afford to put better barrels on them than Win70s got at the factory. Bart always rebarrelled his M70s..

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/rec.guns/iL7zv-cktJc

5/10/97
Leafing through my copy of the May 1997 issue of Precision Shooting, I encountered an ad for Krieger Barrels, Inc. that showed an actual-size copy of a 20-shot group shot at 800 yards by "Bert Bobbit [sic] with his Krieger Barrelled PALMA rifle." Now this group has a .942" mean radius, with an extreme spread of 3.325. If it were a 5-shot group, you'd say, "Somebody else has shot that well at 1,000 yards." But a 20-shot group? God!!
At first I wondered if this was rec.guns's own BartB because of the spelling in the ad. Then I realized the odds against having two superb riflemen with such similar names were almost as great as having obtained a 20-shot group that small through chance and chance alone.
All I can say is, if BartB and any other poster ever disagree about anything having to do with shooting, I'll know whom to believe.

When I read this thread in 1997, I was still trying to get my first 1" 5 shot group at 100 yards.
In 2002 I got my first 1" group and even a 0.45" (5) shot group at 100m with a surplus VZ24 Mauser I rebarrelled with a Loather Walther light varmint barrel in 257 Roberts Ackley.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps