In the arena where the Model 70 was successful, more successful, by the way, than the 700, the accuracy requirements, while impressive enough, are not that great. A 1/2 moa rifle was certainly adequate. A model 70, well set-up, has shown itself to be capable of this and very consistently so. In a way, hi power rifle competition is an anachronistic pursuit and the model 70, a bit of an anachronism itself, seems to be especially suited to it. I think the Model 70 is even better in this role than it is as a hunting rifle. I have two model 70 target rifles, one a 308 and one a 30/06. On a good day, I can shoot either one into 1 moa; prone, with a sling. The 30/06, especially, is a rifle which functions perfectly and, if it doesn't shoot to BR levels, it still shoots well enough to be an interesting rifle. The 308 shoots better but is a little short on panache.
The point is, the Model 70, with it's long history, in the field and on the target range, may no longer be totally relevant but it is still a fine rifle in many respects. The lack of current relevance is why you no longer see the aftermarket support for the Model 70 Winchester. GD