jorge,

Thanks for the details. Three of my 98 sporters have Gentry M70 type safeties, but they are all on commercial actions. By the way, the first of the four photos I posted is of the present .275 Rigby--which like the original uses a M98 barreled action made by Mauser. Apparently the present iterations of the Mauser and and Rigby companies have gotten the word about scope-friendly safeties!

Have had a couple of custom sporters made on 1909 Argentine actions, but at the moment my military-action 98 sporters have 1936 Mexican, G33/40 and German K98 actions.

Had a Sedgely myself once, but (as with many of the rifles I've written about) somebody else eventually wanted it more than I did. Right now my only two Springfields are an all-original Remington 1903A3, and a top-notch custom by Frank Pachmayr made in the 1930s--which also has the original military safety, though its been jewel polished. Its Lyman Alaskan scope is in a detachable Griffin & Howe side-mount--placed just far enough forward for the low scope to clear the bolt handle, and of course the safety. Have always been mildly fascinated by the various "solutions" used for scope-mounting before WWII.

Might also mention that the original Model 70 safety was kind of a POS. Just did an article partly about it, after acquiring a pre-'64 .257 Roberts made in 1936, as part of the build-up of inventory prior to the official announcement of the rifle on Jan. 1, 1937. My library contained a few reviews of the new rifle, including two from Elmer Keith and Townsend Whelen--who both firmly pointed out the safety wasn't suitable for use with a low-mounted scope, it's supposed purpose. To really be able to get at the safety, a scope had to be mounted almost as high as those that allowed the original 98 safety to be used.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck