Lived here in Oregon all my life and other than Portland going to hell in a hand basket, the state is still one of the most beautiful places on earth to spend time. About the best way I could think of to spend a week if that is all you have is to take Hwy 101 from Astoria all the way down the coast to Coos Bay. The scenery is absolutely spectacular along the way, lots of beaches you can wander around on, great places to eat and stay, and fishing if you are so inclined. Most of the harbor towns along the way offer fishing charters for pretty reasonable rates for salmon, bottom fish, and what watching. Unless you really are into the shopping and touristy nonsense, avoid Seaside and Lincoln City- they are over run with tourists most weekends .... the trip from Newport to Bend is a great drive and there is some amazing hiking along the way, including the Pacific Crest Trail if they are adventurous... the tree covered mountains are amazing and serene and when you top out at the town of Sisters, you can see snow capped mountains in all directions... I could go on all day- and I'm heading up to the Bend area but South for some coyote hunting and sage rat hunting in a week or so if my schedule works out....

Bob

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.