Originally Posted by flintlocke
Southern Oregon coast ...Heceta Head south ...maybe drop down 101 far enough to see the north end of the redwoods around Crescent City CA. Coastal trails abound.

I would have to agree with my almost neighbor here.

Are they both from your location, MN? Odds are they've never seen a redwood tree, a big one, as in a REALLY big one? Like flintlocke said, that area of the South Coast of OR, nice little towns like Port Orford and such, all the way down to the Cali coast is spectacular.

The good thing is, outside of getting wet, there are a lot of parks and stuff to hike in. Odds are places like Crater Lake, Mt Hood, Rainier, and other nice scenic parks for hiking further inland are mostly, if not entirely, closed due to snow. One time I tried to get into Crater Lake in July and they had it closed.

Jedediah Smith Park is just north of Crescent City, which is just a short drive from the Oregon border. It's almost like not being in Kommiefornia, and there's camping and hiking there they might enjoy.

I hope they have a nice trip, but if this might be the one time they get to the West coast, missing out on seeing a redwood grove of the "Old Growth" type would be a shame.

Of course, there are other big trees, cedars, Doug fir, spruce in OR and WA. If they prefer WA I might suggest a trip to Olympic NP, over on the coast side at Quinalt there are some nice trails that would be open for a ways until they hit snow line.

I wish them a happy vacation for sure. But tell them to go see a real tree............in the Redwoods!

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?