Originally Posted by 338Rem
Looking for a little help/input here. The daughter graduates in May from college and wants to take a week and go to one of these two states with her boyfriend. Other than staying out of Portland and Seattle, any ideas would be appreciated. They want to do some hiking, sightseeing etc.

I don't know Washington all that well. In May, the Cascades of Oregon are going to be pretty well snow-clogged and farther north into Washington it should be worse. My first choice, later in the year, would be Crater Lake NP. It's stunning. But there's about 7-1/2 feet of snow at the south entrance right now. I don't think the rim drive will be open in May .. maybe, could be wrong .. and the trails still should be snowed over.

Weather in May is variably variable, or maybe less predictable than that. smile If you get nice days, the coastline is incredible. It can rain / drizzle 'til mid/late June. You never know.

There's very cool, low elevation hiking along the Umpqua east of Roseburg. Mostly day hiking. The highway runs on the north side of the river. Every few miles there's a bridge over the river with parking and access to the trail that runs up the south side of the river. The Rogue River trail and Illinois River trail are both awesome that time of year: it's still pretty green and the wildflowers pop. Later, they get very dry and miserably hot.

Best chance for better weather would be east of the Cascades. One thought would be to check out the John Day fossil beds and Painted Hills. After a little rain to wash the dust off, the colors from the various bands of volcanic ash pop.

I'd consider the Columbia Gorge. Starts out close to Portland but the views of the cliffs along the river are great and there are a lot of trails on both sides of the river. If it is too wet to the west, go east up the river 'til it isn't.

If you get good / cooperative weather, or don't mind being wet, then the trail along the Oregon Coast has great views, big waves bashing rocky headlands, and small beaches. Same thing .. though I don't know about the trail situation .. around the Olympic Peninsula in Washington. (That remains an area I want to visit ... the Hoh rainforest, etc.)

You can spend your whole life here and not get to all the cool things that are available.

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...