i have shot dozens of russian boar, red stag, feral hogs and whitetail with my 44 mag using XTP's. I modify my XTP's for whitetail and the occasional feral hog.
The unmodified version of the XTP dropped the majority of stags and russian boar in their track. Tougher hide, bigger animals than the typical feral hog and whitetail.
After shooting close to a dozen white tails I was concerned with how much more they ran than the stags. Pass throughs yes, and good blood trails too. But in thick brush this had me concerned. So i took a 1/8" drill and opened the hollow point and drilled it a little deeper. Bullets end up at same POI as unmodified ones, and weigh 231 grains.
I have yet to have a whitetail run with these. More energy is dumped inside the animal and in all but a quartering away follow up shot that one buck let me have (he was dead on his feet but turned after the first shot) the bullets exited. This second shot is the only recovered bullet I have from a Whitetail.

Don't get me wrong, 240 gr as they come out of the box lets them usually have a 30-50 yard run, but i like them to fall over in place. if i do my part, they will.

I shoot a 7.5" 629 and a 6.5" 629 at 1300 fps.
SnT