I guess the choice between cast and jacketed handgun bullets depends a lot on your individual circumstances, at least if you're talking home cast. For my part, I prefer cast bullets in big revolvers but tend to hunt more with JHP's, specifically the Hornady XTP in .44 240 grain and .41 210 grain. This bullet has given me outstanding results on a number of WT over the years. It is accurate expands a little, and penetrates through and through.

When I have time, I cast for my big revolvers but have pretty much given it up for auto pistols. When you look at the cost of pure lead and tin you don't save much if anything casting your own these days. If you scrounge lead you can use up a whole lot of time messing around to get good, consistent results. Add that to casting, lubing and QC time and (for me anyway) good home cast bullets cost more than jacketed.

The mass produced, bevel-based, super hard (high tin and antimony) cast bullets tend to be too hard to obturate in a revolver and will (unless you're very lucky) give you a lot of leading to deal with. IME they are best reserved for auto pistols. I'm aware that there are premium cast bullets out there for revolvers but expense-wise they are right up there with jacketed bullets.

If I were concerned with stopping charging grizzlies or cape buffalo with a handgun I might think differently, but I'm just a deer hunter. For that Hornady XTP's work best for me. YMMV

Mathew 22: 37-39