Originally Posted by lundtroller
Thoughts on the Browning B2000... I've had several over the years in 20 gauge and agree that they come up nice in the hands. I did have issues too with failure to eject. Frequent cleaning was paramount but even that did not always solve the problem. If one remembers, they came with barrels marked either 2 3/4" or 3". My early ones all had the 3" barrels and I don't remember having many issue with running 3" shells. I later drilled out the gas port hole in the barrel to a slightly larger size and never had problems with 2 3/4" shells jamming again as long as I kept it clean. My later 2000 20, that I still have, was purchased with a 2 3/4" barrel to begin with and I have never had problems with that one!

With that said, I have been a Benelli fan with it's mechanical recoil action since that time and now mostly use 20 gauge Montefeltros for my upland hunting. They are pretty forgiving on the maintenance issues, yet still come up real nice like the 2000 did.

I will agree with huntsman on the Colt Woodsman/Huntsman .22's as well! Mine is a 2nd series 6" target model with the bakelite grips. It just melts/molds into your hand and is balanced very nicely. It is my only .22 pistol that I have been able to get a running jackrabbit with enough frequency to keep me trying on occasion rather than going exclusively with a scoped bolt action .22.

I will add three others to my honorable mention list for natural pointers...

1. Browning Safari Grade Mausers. They sure are heavy by today's standards but Browning designed a wonderful classic stock for them, at least for me.

2. Browning BSS w/ field stock. Mine is the only 12 that I own and has 26" barrels, but it seems to hit/kill everything I point it at (pheasants/quail). I was skeptical at first, it being a bulkier 12 w/ short barrels until I shot it. I shudder to think what a field stocked 20 with 28" barrels would be like... maybe someday!

3. Anything in a Remington 700 KS stock! For me the best feel in a synthetic rifle stock.
My 2000 was a 2 3/4" chambered 12 Ga.