Originally Posted by JeffP
[

So how accurate was the movie?
They portray Scott as having a disdain for people who couldn’t get to the top themselves, yet (in the movie) it was his Sherpa dragging a client to the top of the mountain .
Last the movie also portrayed Scott dying because he took
Personal risks that he should had known better. Was that a misrepresentation?

The movie is inaccurate mostly because of omission. Characters in a movie are rarely good composites of the actual people they represent. I had read books and articles about Hall and Fischer before 1996, and all the accounts of the 1996 tragedy. I acquired the spirit and descriptions of these men from the authors of those articles and books..........all of them fellow climbers. I didn't like the movie.

Scott Fischer likely over-extended himself by helping a friend down from Camp II to Base Camp, and turning around to reclimb the mountain. But Scott was an extraordinarily strong climber.......much admired by his clients and other climbers for his abilities. The above, and the friendly competition between Fischer and Hall to get their respective journalists to the top, and the attendant publicity by doing so, jaundiced their respective decision making.