Went looking for a new small truck last week, or make that "mid-size" since small trucks seem to be extinct. Not hating on Toyota since it does have a fan following that is fairly well deserved - AFAIK my ex is still driving the Camry we bought in 1996 and I loved my 2003 Tundra for the short time I owned it, but I think Toyota (and definitely their dealerships) kind of live on their rep. They pretty much lost me with this latest iteration, the last Tacoma body style that interested me was in 2014.

Toyota's popularity actually works against it in some ways. The Ford and Nissan dealers had a dozen or more examples of their small trucks on the lot, the Toyota salesman was a snotty ass hole and pretty much laughed in my face that I would expect to see a new Tacoma actually physically on the lot - they are all pre-sold months in advance. Doubt I will darken that dealership's door in the future.

The Ranger has a lot going for it at least by the specs, and Ford knows how to make a good truck even if they don't always do so. Would love to have my 1990 F-150 back again, that was a great truck for my needs. My girlfriend back in the early 90's had a 1991 Ranger and by and large it was a good truck. If'n I do pull the trigger and get a new one it'll probalby be a Ranger or the Nissan Frontier, and likely the Ranger.

Unfortunately no one still makes what I really want, a single cab, small utility pickup. But an access cab with a 6' bed will still work just fine.

[Linked Image from file.kelleybluebookimages.com]

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!