Originally Posted by 673
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
Originally Posted by MidBore338
My paternal grandparents were Canadian citizens and lived in Canada. Spent much time there growing up and my parents still own the place.

Canada is not a bad place. Odd laws for many Americans and it’s very very liberal for the most part. Conservative Canadians are very much the minority.

Canadians and Americans have very different expectations from life in my experience and Americans are far more materialistic...well the baby boomers are.

While very conservative and extremely proud to be American I think Canadians are generally happier.

They tend to think America is all guns and crack. Something like 90% of em live within 50 miles of the border IIrc. Food in Canada is awful compared to the US. Well to be fair their dairy is better in my experience but their meat and seafood is terrible.

Americans have much much more freedom and I’m not just referring to the 2a.

Canadians are also far more anti-American than Americans are anti Canada. Not to be snarky but I believe it’s because Canada is internationally insignificant and they have an inferiority complex.

Canada is also loaded with Chinese and Arabs and pakis. We have the you know who’s

You’ve been hanging out in the wrong parts of Canada.

LOL, that's what I was thinking.

673 & Jordan;
Good morning to both of you fine gentlemen, I hope that it's more than less spring in your respective parts of the country and that all who matter to you both are well.

As mentioned in my post above, most of my travels have been in the north western states so that doesn't make me an expert on much at all, but we did both stay at a few Suntree Inns and ate at a whole pile of US restaurants, cafes, diners and truck stops.

While I'd opine that 30 years ago the service in US dining establishments was a bit better, in our experience the servers on this side of the medicine line improved their game immensely in that period. As far as the quality of the meals goes, well I'll say that I've paid for meals in San Antonio for instance that were north of $250USD for 4 of us that were far, far less tasty than meals up here at similar "class/grade/price point" dining establishments.

Please note I use that number not to brag in any way, only to say that it wasn't the worst dive we could find in either case.

As far as ethnic diversity or lack thereof, well that's fairly community specific in our part of the world in my experience as well, but then again since both my grandfathers were refugees when they came here from eastern Europe - Germans from Russia and Romania - I've always had a soft spot for folks who want to come here, work hard and add to the community.

Where I grew up on the flat lands, every town had at least two families who had Chinese lineage and most of them had been there since their ancestors came to build the railway. One owner of the local Chinese restaurant loved two things in life - golf and hunting whitetails - so in his establishment along with the requisite for the time Chinese posters on the wall and such, were golf trophies from local tournaments and huge Saskatchewan whitetail racks and mounts!

While I do believe that some of our fellow citizens might be inclined to believe the anti-US rhetoric espoused by some of the media, I'd like to believe that less and less of us are taking anything they say at face value anymore, you know? Other than watching the Kelowna station for local news I've pretty much quit watching the propaganda networks for news... well I've actually nearly quit watching TV anymore for that matter.

All the very best to you both from the not so sunny south Okanagan this morning.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"