Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
KC gives a pretty good list. I would add locking hemostats. Squirting arteries can be slippery little bastards. But once clamped, they can be controlled.

I am sure that most here are First Aid trained, and know about tourniquets and the dangers thereof.

For the one or two who might not.

1a: Use of a tourniquet will "sacrifice the limb to save the life". Most times, a pressure bandage coupled with pressure upon the "pulse point" will minimize bleeding without cost of the limb. Clot powder or clotting bandages will be of assistance.

1b: Assume all tissue below the tourniquet will have to be cut off.

2: Once applied, NEVER, Never loosen a tourniquet before arrival at the ER. Let ER Dr do it.

3: tag the tourniquet with date and time of application.

Tourniquets are an absolute last course attempt used after all else fails in an attempt to save a life. Do not make the decision to use one lightly.

I mentioned forceps, not sure I mentioned Kelly-type locking ones. They will help to suture (which I did not include in my recs as people need to be trained to it). FAKs are for stabilization outside hospitals, or prevention going to one.
Most small cuts that need sutures, can be sutured up to 10-12h later if clean (different ones maybe be shorter/longer).
I am experienced placing sutures, but when my 4yo sliced his nose open away from civilization, I controlled bleeding and took him to the ER where a pediatrics plastic surgeon fixed his nose. Had it been a leg, arm or other place, I would have sutured him and saved the drive and ER wait times and anxiety.

The major thing is what do you want it for - and act accordingly (which includes training in how to use the stuff in there)
One things is slicing your finger with the camp knife and applying glue/steritrips/sutures a very different thing is a penetrating wound with large vessel injury that requires vascular repair/compression and med-evac

As expensive as they are CAT tourniquets are really good for releasing/time stamping, and depending on location, these bolded recommendations are good, unless you are trained in tourniquet use and have access to IV fluids and such, for volume reposition.