Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
KC gives a pretty good list. I would add locking hemostats. Squirting arteries can be slippery little bastards. But once clamped, they can be controlled.

I am sure that most here are First Aid trained, and know about tourniquets and the dangers thereof.

For the one or two who might not.

1a: Use of a tourniquet will "sacrifice the limb to save the life". Most times, a pressure bandage coupled with pressure upon the "pulse point" will minimize bleeding without cost of the limb. Clot powder or clotting bandages will be of assistance.

1b: Assume all tissue below the tourniquet will have to be cut off.

2: Once applied, NEVER, Never loosen a tourniquet before arrival at the ER. Let ER Dr do it.

3: tag the tourniquet with date and time of application.

Tourniquets are an absolute last course attempt used after all else fails in an attempt to save a life. Do not make the decision to use one lightly.

The U.S. military studies show up to 2 hours without amputation risk. Of course the military is always in contact so quick evac and treatment is always available. So loss the of a limb to a tourniquet is not absolute.
If you have one TQ, you're going to need 2. Get the proper training for tourniquet use. I see quite a few vids on Youtube where a person is shot and they go straight to a tourniquet. People seem to forget their basic first aid and don't even assess the injury.

Fight fire, save lives, laugh in the face of danger.

Stupid always finds a way.