I was not and will never claim to be a medic. I was an 18C not an 18D. We did, however cross train a lot and I assisted our medics a fair amount in real world trauma situations. Based on modern combat trauma training, think hemorrhage control. I too was taught that tourniquets were a last resort...…. in 1989. The previously taught notion that "the minute you apply a tourniquet, you loose the limb" is patently false. Any down side to it's use is far out weighed by saving a life and the chances of limb loss is almost zero. If it is left on for days then yes, it will be detrimental, other then that, don't worry about it. Other important items to me are coban (it comes in a role, stretches and adheres to itself) and curlex (essentially a role of sterile gauze). These items, plus some form of quick clot will cover most hemorrhage control situations. All other items previously mentioned are great too. Remember, there is a difference between life saving measures and "booboo control" and you have to carry it. I would go the build it yourself route. Local pharmacies have a good selection of useful items that are economical.

Whatever you pack, make sure it includes a cool head and knowledge.

Bore size is no substitute for shot placement and
Power is no substitute for bullet performance. 458WIN