Originally Posted by K_P
I'm a reserve deputy. Not a full time pro, but I attended nearly 100 hours of classroom training plus at least that many more in reading assignments and/or online resources that I needed to become a sworn peace officer.

To the point: we were trained to NEVER apply perpendicular pressure along the neck and spine when holding a detainee on the ground. We were trained to ALWAYS apply the full shin lengthwise down the back, next to the spine. Further, we were taught to only apply enough weight or force to hold the detainee, and then only until restraints could be applied. To do otherwise would run the risk of injuring, or killing, the detainee.

I'm not surprised at all by this verdict. I am also not disappointed. I believe it is incumbent upon LEO to stand up and denounce unacceptable practices when they see it.

Notice I'm not stating that George Floyd was an upstanding citizen. Far from it. What's being lost in so much of the discussion about his death is the fact that, once detained, his safety is the responsibility of the LEO and agency that has detained him no matter how egregious his conduct or past record.
Very well written, and I most definitely agree..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!