BC30cal, I load .44-40, not so much because I like reloading this cartridge, or because I like to stuff them full of black powder, but because it's the only way that I can shoot my rifle.

I got a good deal on a plain round-barrelled Winchester Miroku short rifle so I grabbed it.
It would have been easier if it had been in .45 Colt but .44-40 was the original cartridge and that's what it was in. I could take it or leave it. I took it and I'm glad I did.

In this Covid world, the old "odd" cartridges like 44-40, 38-40, 32-20, 25-20, 38-55, which had previously had limited availability if you looked around for them, have disappeared everywhere. Just before this prices soared to $100.00 CAD a box for .44-40 !

However, Starline brass remains available from several sources, and I bought a Lee 200 grain bullet mold for my .44-40.

Also, even brass for a .25-20 rifle has become pure unobtanium, but Starline .32-20 brass, which is available, can easily be formed into .25-20.

So reloading may be your only option if you want to shoot the "odd" cartridges, as I am sure you already know.

Last edited by saddlegun; 04/28/21.

UVA UVAM VIVENDO VARIA FIT