I have a few small caliber centre fires but the one I most enjoy shooting is one of the granddaddy’s of the small calibers, the 22 Savage Hi Power in a takedown Savage 1899 model H. It’s a challenge to keep these old guns fed as most bullet companies have discontinued their .228 caliber bullets. I am told 70 grain Sisks and Speer bullets were the cat’s meow for these guns but alas they were both discontinued long before I acquired my 22 HP.

I use an RCBS 60 grain mould designed for the 22 HP to cast and size the bullets at .228. Powered by a light charge of Red Dot they are accurate and inexpensive. For small game the same cast bullet with a charge of Trail Boss can approximate 22LR hi velocity ammunition. The cases are reformed from 30-30 cases. First neck to 25 caliber, then to a 25-35 full length resizing die then finish on the 22 HP FL sizing die. Some cases are lost in the process but 30-30 cases are abundant. Once reformed they last a long time with mild charges and cast bullets.

It requires some work but it’s well worth the effort to keep these guns shooting. The European 5.6x52R is close the 22 HP and will chamber and fire but I have never tried any. Some say the 1 in 14 twist of the Savage barrels is too slow to stabilize them.

Nick