Originally Posted by SDblackhills
I have a kiddo now and the feeling of fatherly responsibility is weighing heavy on me.... I'm feeling the need to start taking home defense a little more seriously than I used to. I'm thinking of getting a handgun to train with and keep in a small locked safe by the bed. Probably a full size handgun for better shooting and more comfortable training.

I currently own a little Ruger single action .22 revolver. Working on becoming a dead eye shot with it. I have never owned a centerfire handgun. I have been considering buying a revolver such as a GP-100 or S&W 66 (or something similar that is used). I think I would like owning one and enjoy shooting it. I also like the simplicity of them (I know they are mechanically complex under the hood but you know what I mean). I like that I could press it up against a mountain lion's chest as it gnaws at me and just keep pulling the trigger until I run out of ammo.

But since this is supposed to be more than a range toy or hunting weapon, I am thinking I might want to avail myself of 100+ years of shooting technology and get a semi-auto. I am specifically thinking a polymer framed pistol, which will also save me some money compared to a quality revolver.

Glocks seem cool and I have no desire to be different or special, but I have heard from many that there are plenty of good options now in terms of polymer framed pistols. Since availability is spotty these days, I'm trying to come up with several potential choices.

I am considering:
  • Glock 17 or 19
  • Springfield XD
  • Smith Wesson M&P full size or compact
  • Ruger Security 9

Just wondering if there's anything else I should add to that list (or anything that I should remove from it). Hopefully I can get a chance to handle or even shoot some of these in person before too long.

Get one of each, a pre-lock S&W in anything from .38 Special up to .45 Colt, in anything from K to N frame. Then get yourself a Glock 19.