Originally Posted by SDblackhills

I currently own a little Ruger single action .22 revolver. Working on becoming a dead eye shot with it. I have never owned a centerfire handgun. I have been considering buying a revolver such as a GP-100 or S&W 66 (or something similar that is used). I think I would like owning one and enjoy shooting it. I also like the simplicity of them (I know they are mechanically complex under the hood but you know what I mean). I like that I could press it up against a mountain lion's chest as it gnaws at me and just keep pulling the trigger until I run out of ammo.

Good call on the .22. You should continue shooting it, too. I use a Ruger Mk IV at the beginning of most range sessions as a warmer upper, focusing on fundamentals. Depending on my goals that day, I may shoot 3 or 4 magazines worth of ammo, or I may only shoot one. The 22 is a great way to get your head into the game.

I also agree with your feelings about a DA revolver. Personally, I think this is the best choice for a first centerfire handgun, but I realize I'm in the minority here and definitely a dinosaur. I have a couple S&W Model 66's on hand, and I truly enjoy them. Carrying one while hiking or fishing is pretty much second nature to me. Here's the important point to remember: if you can learn to shoot smoothly and accurately with a DA trigger, it will help you enormously in your handling of any centerfire handgun. Others here will argue contrary, YMMV.

Originally Posted by SDblackhills

But since this is supposed to be more than a range toy or hunting weapon, I am thinking I might want to avail myself of 100+ years of shooting technology and get a semi-auto. I am specifically thinking a polymer framed pistol, which will also save me some money compared to a quality revolver.

Glocks seem cool and I have no desire to be different or special, but I have heard from many that there are plenty of good options now in terms of polymer framed pistols. Since availability is spotty these days, I'm trying to come up with several potential choices.

I am considering:
  • Glock 17 or 19
  • Springfield XD
  • Smith Wesson M&P full size or compact
  • Ruger Security 9

I don't think you need to look further than a Glock 17 or 19, especially if you buy one of the Gen 5 pistols. They have really improved the trigger on the Gen 5's. An earlier gen is fine, too, but they are much improved if you have a smith install a NY-1 trigger with a 3.5 trigger connect (this is essentially what Glock did with the Gen 5 pistols).

As a final note, I'd suggest you look for some decent defensive handgun training as soon as you can. There is a lot of information on other threads here to direct you to quality schools. You don't need advanced tactical training, you just need quality instruction in the defensive use of the pistol. Training is far more important than most folks will admit.

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars