Originally Posted by SDblackhills
I'm feeling the need to start taking home defense a little more seriously than I used to. I'm thinking of getting a handgun to train with and keep in a small locked safe by the bed. Probably a full size handgun for better shooting and more comfortable training.

I am considering:
  • Glock 17 or 19
  • Springfield XD
  • Smith Wesson M&P full size or compact
  • Ruger Security 9

Just wondering if there's anything else I should add to that list (or anything that I should remove from it).

If you are set on getting a (1) full size (2) automatic (3) pistol for (4) home defense only, I think your list is headed in the right direction. As others have said, I'd suggest handling them and see what resonates with you when you're pointing them at the gun counter. If you find that Glocks and M&P's are to your liking, I'd quickly narrow your list to just those two. I bought a Glock years ago just to be "in the club" so to speak. I was pretty non-plussed by it at first, but I found I shot it well, it ran flawlessly, and it was not picky about ammo in any way. Soon I bought another. Then another.

Last year I bought a Gen 5 (a G19 MOS). It's now my EDC. The triggers are better. I think the accuracy of my Gen 5 is a tad better than its Gen 4 predecessor. I still have a Gen 4 G19 and a Gen 3 G19. The Gen 5 is easily my favorite.

As for you, based on your stated criteria, if you go with a Glock, I agree with the suggestion of a G17 or even the suggestion of the G34. But, you might want to go with a G19 just in case you decide to start packing it around. (If you have already decided that you will also carry it, then the G19 is my first choice). Also consider adding a red dot--aiming/hitting becomes ridiculously easy.

You did ask if you should consider anything else to add to your list: I suggest that your first consideration for a strictly home defense gun be an AR pistol chambered for a rifle cartridge, no PCC's.

Good luck in your decision! Be sure to report back as to what you got!

Wade

"Let's Roll!" - Todd Beamer 9/11/01.