Originally Posted by 1Akshooter
Since our Big Bore .356 is a moose and bear protection weapon I want it giving me the best it has to offer to deal with large or excited critters out to 200 yards. I feel a bullet weight of about 220 grains is about right for the small capacity case. I have some 220 Speers and 203 grain Shock Hammers ready to load up when a friend comes and gives me a can of his X-Terminator powder. I also have a bunch of the old standby WW 748 powder. Which ever bullet looks the best in my informal bullet test will get the nod.

I am also curious as to difference in recoil between the bullet weights. From what I have been able to read the last year it appears as though X-Terminator may be the velocity king for a .356 and a 20" barrel and 200-220 grain bullets. TACC seems to shine with heavier bullets and the higher pressures most .308 actions can handle over the .356 in lever guns. Also, I hear 10X works well in short barrels.

The info from M1Garrand that is direct from Ramshot is good stuff! Several cartridges that are more popular get more attention when it comes to new powders and their use, the .356 Win. is not one of them, so it is stuck in time, but still a good one as is.

In other threads it’s been suggested to get a 225 Partition and file the nose to a flat shape for use in a tubular magazine. I suppose this could be done with a 250 gr Partition as well. Crimping could be done with a Lee Taper Crimp die. I’ll bet these would be tough to beat on heavy game. As far as recoil, in my last Marlin the 220 Speer at 2200 was easy to shoot. I recall that 2300fps began to get a bit uncomfortable, at least for me. Not as uncomfortable as I imagine a bear mauling might be, though.