In my opinion the Hogue stock is probably tough and is certainly comfortable to fire from the bench but is an absolute abomination on a dangerous game rifle.
Besides the tacky finish hanging up on coats and shirts it is heavier than even the wooden stock and so wide it almost touches the bolt handle so leaves very little to grasp if you are in a hurry. they are also heavy and cause the little 20 inch barrreled carbine to be butt heavy.
I installed a new Ruger synthetic stock on mine. They are avaliable from Brownells for about $64. I even took a rasp to mine and slimmed the forend just ahead of the magazine - which makes it feel better when carrying. It now balances on the front guard screw and the weight on mine dropped from an even eight pounds to 7 pounds 4 ounces. The weight of a sheep hunting rifle with the power to stop big bears.
Besides that they all seem to feed and operate slicker than most custom rifles. All three 375 Rugers in my camp give under MOA accuracy with factory ammo as well as with my 270 gr TSX and 350 gr Woodleigh reloads.
How can you go wrong?

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.