Originally Posted by hillbillyjake
GaryVA

that is a very nice looking rifle. i love the utilitarian look. the hawkeye i am looking at is the alaskan. with the 20" barrel would the contour vary from the 24"? i dont think it would but am not sure.

i noticed your recooil numbers. pretty stout. i do understand that recoil is relivent to each individual, but is it manageable in the canoe-paddle stock/.375 combo? i have shot .375 H&H's with no problems before but these were in 10# rifles. thanks for the link.

p.s. would it very hard to shorten the LOP on one of these stocks?

thanks
jake

I stand by my posts in the link. If a person would have difficulty handling a lightweight 375Ruger, they'd have a problem handling a light weight 375H&H. You should re-read Shoemaker's post above. His anlogy "The weight of a sheep hunting rifle with the power to stop big bears" should be the campaign slogan and bumper sticker for this rifle.

An option would be to find a used mkII laminate take-off from a magnum rifle(7mm-300-338WM) and put a decelerator on it. The stock is much heavier and would dampen the recoil a bit over the mkII or canoe, but the rifle would loose its sheep gun lightness. I think 458's $64 option is closer to ideal and if they ever reshape that stock to match the "African", it would be perfect. That is why I chose the "canoe paddle". It is closer to the shape and trimness of the "African" than the blockier mkII which is why Shoemaker's rasp advice is a pearl of wisdom.

GVA

�I've never met a genius. A genius to me is someone who does well at something he hates. Anybody can do well at something he loves -- it's just a question of finding the subject.�

- Clint Eastwood