Duane from B C summarized it well.

"In summary then, I'd respectfully turn the question around and ask, "Why would anyone not want to expand their vocabulary and learn new words?"

At one point among my daily tasks were corresponding with medical staff, various government agencies and different professionals. In doing so, I quickly learned that if I communicated in a precise way - sometimes using words specific to that trade and situation - the company I worked for received markedly better results. Startlingly so in fact at times sir."

Effective / persuasive conversations begin with an appreciation for the person on the other side of the discussion, including their ability to relate and understand your argument. Think about how we must get across the legitimacy of our love of the outdoors and the shooting sports to those who have no understanding or appreciation for our passion. We each must make clear that we are citizens to be reckoned with, maybe even accepted and appreciated, because we have a legitimate opinion (which they may not yet share) about the way forward.

We should emphasize our values on the meaning of the Constitution, about the God-given rights of the citizens of a free nation and the conservation of our natural resources. We cannot afford to come across as anything less than informed, educated, considerate citizens. The other folks may try to dismiss or restrict our opinions but it should not be because we come across as knuckle-dragging hayseeds who cannot articulate our viewpoint in a logical and crystal clear fashion.

Our future may actually depend on expanding our vocabulary and our ability to communicate in a fashion that "non-believers" can understand. They are legion and believe that what they FEEL is right and everybody else is unwashed, prejudiced commoners who can be ignored, regulated and dominated. If this effort requires a better understanding of our legal system or regulatory jargon or the psychology of career legislators, we can demonstrate our abilities with precise language, clear thinking and persuasive presentation of facts.

The people on the other side of any argument already feel justified in their view. We should make an honest effort to persuade them using facts and history, logic and reason, which often requires exactness and clarity in our language. And fifty-cent words when they are wanting to bulldoze our opinion with legalese and elite privilege.

Then we can tell them to GFY. They should prepare for the undesirable consequences of ignoring educated, experienced, informed and articulate citizens.

“You must endeavour to enjoy the pleasure of doing good. That is all that makes life valuable.”
Robert E. Lee, in a letter to his invalid wife.